As you all know, the current Covid-19 pandemic has meant that we have been unable to hold our usual THCAT meetings throughout the summer and with the current “Rule of 6” in place, we are not likely to be able to recommence any time soon. In the meantime, some members have been working away quietly to benefit our area.
We held a very successful “Thornton Heath in Bloom” competition with over 100 entries across the different categories creating gardens and planters we could all enjoy as we were out and about. Differently this year, the prizes had to be presented on the winners’ doorsteps instead of at our usual celebratory awards ceremony. Our planter guardians have continued to brighten our streets with their efforts and people have undertaken various small scale, socially distanced tidy ups etc.
THCAT is a partner in Croydon's Green Recovery Plan and you can find out more on https://www.jamieaudsley.org/green-recovery/
If you would like to get involved this autumn in making Thornton Heath a cleaner, greener, more pleasant place to live, here are some opportunities:
- AMBASSADOR HOUSE: If you would like to help maintain the new planting on the forecourt, you can join the Ambassador House Gardening Club. It meets on the first Saturday of each month at 1.00pm. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Numbers may be limited at the moment to ensure social distancing. There have been problems with the water tap which was to be used to care for the plants so if you live very near AH and could help with watering or if you would be happy to have a water butt in your front garden for volunteers to access, please let THCAT know. Thank you!
- THORNTON HEATH REC COMMUNITY GARDEN: Friends of the Rec meet at 2pm on Sunday afternoons to maintain the Community Garden. Please ensure that you observe social distancing.
- THORNTON HEATH POND: Peter Lawrence is organising a Pond winter clear up and prep for spring morning on Sunday 1st November from 10am - 12 noon to include a plant clear up and spring bulb planting. So that Peter can plan the day to ensure social distancing, please book your place by e-mailing email@example.com .
- THORNTON HEATH CHRONICLE: We always need volunteers to deliver new editions of the Chronicle. If you could deliver to your street please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SALVATION ARMY SHOP: The Salvation Army shop on the High Street is still closed. Please DO NOT leave donations outside as they are unable to accept them and you will be FLYTIPPING which is an offence and costs money to clear up.
- KEEP REPORTING: Many of you already report flytipping, ASB and other local problems, but others post them on our Facebook page instead where they cannot be dealt with. Please continue to report any issues using the reporting list below:
Street by street action - reporting 2020
Useful contacts to report rubbish or environment related issues in our area. Please ensure all problems are reported via the approaches below and cc your ward Councillors who are:
Bensham Manor ward:
Thornton Heath ward:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
West Thornton ward:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Flytips - www.croydon.gov.uk/doitonline/report-it or use My Account or the free ‘Love Clean Streets’ app.
Overflowing Litter Bins: croydon.gov.uk, report it, browse A-Z, street rubbish bins, current reports, litter bin issues, log a new report
Abandoned Shopping Trolleys - email: email@example.com or download the app.
Ongoing Hotspots (problem spaces) - include Dermot.Linehan@croydon.gov.uk (Lead Enforcement Officer for our area) and Tracey.Bellamy@croydon.gov.uk (Street Champion Co-ordinator). Please attach photos of information showing an address.
Problems at Rented Properties & HMO’s - firstname.lastname@example.org
Problems involving Parks - email@example.com
Problems with Dogs - firstname.lastname@example.org
Graffiti - “Report it” on www.croydon.gov.uk
Noise Complaints - My Croydon app or Croydon Council by phone: Daytime Mon-Fri 9-5pm: 020 8760 5483, Out of Hours Contact: 020 8726 6000
Unreasonable levels of Parties/Loud Music - POLLUTION@croydon.gov.uk
Obstructive Parking - PARKING@croydon.gov.uk
Noisy Vehicles etc - CommunityRoadwatch@met.police.uk
Antisocial Behaviour (ASB) - email email@example.com
Suspected Criminal Activity - dial 101 (or in an emergency/immediate danger, dial 999).
Please also email relevant Safer Neighbourhood Ward Team: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and report on website https://www.met.police.uk
FINALLY - If you are an art lover, you might enjoy:
The Croydon Art Society 'virtual' Annual Exhibition of member's work. Go online at www.croydonartsociety.org, Monday 16th November to 16th January 2021.
Or, on a bright autumn day, why not follow the Thornton Heath Art Trail. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to walk the whole trail but of course it could be done in sections. The map can be downloaded from https://thorntonheath.net/art-trail/. If anyone in TH would really like a paper copy, email your address to email@example.com.
With best wishes for a safe, healthy autumn from
The THCAT Committee